Welcome to Barbados Class!
Class Teacher: Miss Carter
Topic – Frozen Kingdom
Image curtsey of https://blog.nature.org/
Welcome to the planet’s coldest lands. . . Vast wilds and hostile territories – incredibly beautiful, yet often deadly. Take shelter from the elements or fall prey to the icy winds and the deepest chill. Trek bravely and valiantly across the treacherous terrain to the ends of the Earth, treading deep in the snow or be pulled by a team of mighty sled dogs.
Be alert, for the magnificent mammals roam these lands, sometimes hungry or fresh for a fight. Perhaps a hungry polar bear or an artic fox is hunting rodents, as swift as the wind! Research facts and figures of climate, temperature, habitats and ecosystems.
Become part of an Antarctic rescue team, braving the elements to rescue terrified passengers from a ship struck by a deadly berg that hides deep beneath the Antarctic Ocean.
So, wrap up well everyone and settle by the fire.
Barbados’ P.E days are Monday (Swimming alternate weeks) and Thursday.
Children need to come into school on these days dressed in their P.E kit.
Children with long hair need to have this tied up and earrings ideally need to be removed. If this is not possible, earrings will need to be covered.
Homework is sent out on a Friday and is due back in school on the following Wednesday, if your child needs assistance with their homework this will be offered on a Monday lunch time. This allows your child time to complete and return homework on the due date.
If you have any questions of queries throughout the term, please do not hesitate to make an appointment.
Topic Homework – Frozen Kingdom
Your options for your project homework are as follows:
- Image the Earth has entered another Ice Age. Write a diary-style piece describing the changes and how the human race has adapted to cope.
- Use a range of snowy image to create a collage. Remember to use lots of interesting textures, shapes, colours and patterns.
- Make ‘Iced Jewels’. Mix powder paints and dyes into water, in a tray of colours. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze overnight. Pop your cubes out and explore your iced jewels. What happens if you sprinkle salt on a cube?
- Make a model of your favourite Artic animal. Write a fact sheet to go with your animal.
- Create a brochure for a new travel company which arranges visits to the Arctic and Antarctic. Use powerful images and text to tempt customers who want an extra-special trip!
This is due in on Wednesday 12th February. Parents are invited in on this day at 2.45pm to share these projects.